So, let’s see if I’ve got this right. Nepotism and corruption in games media are real problems, but TotalBiscuit is holding it against Quinn that he promoted her game “for free.”
TotalBiscuit (a YouTube games ‘journalist’) is right here saying he expects something from Quinn (a games dev) for having promoted her game without monetary payment.
Interesting how TB is embodying a lesser version of the very thing he claims to be against.
Patriarchy in a nutshell, folks.
I really hope you’re being sarcastic.
TB’s job is video game journalism. That’s how he eats and that’s how he pays to continue living. For him to do something for free indicates that he liked the project or the developer enough to spread the message around so the project would be supported. He genuinely liked the message the game promoted, which is why he covered it. Then he heard that developer was exploiting a system he already sees as being flawed. Now he and other Youtube personalities are being called misogynists for merely pointing out what she had done.
Let’s make a list of the things that are wrong about what Quinn was doing.
1. Provided sexual favors for personal gain (positive coverage for her and her game) with at least one member of the press and her married boss
2. Had videos criticizing her work taken off Youtube because there were a publicly available images in them
3. Lied about being harassed by Wizardchan, a forum for people who have trouble talking to people
4. Used the death of Robin Williams to promote her game
5. Faked being doxxed to seem like a victim
6. Doxxed women and got them banned from Twitter
7. Called the women she doxxed misogynists for wanting most of the proceeds for a game idea to go to charity
Being called out for your shit isn’t harassment, it’s being called out for doing something shitty.
There’s nothing in that tweet indicating TB is looking for anything from Quinn, let alone monetary payment. He’s defending himself for pointing out that what she did goes incredibly deep into the industry and that it’s a serious problem that needs fixing.
Exploiting a flawed system is the opposite of fixing it.